2011年10月24日月曜日

NFL Needs to Adopt the NCAA Rules on Celebration Penalties

I can't be the only one...

You're watching an NFL game, and a running back catches a screen pass and lunges forward for a yard to make the first down on a third and one. Once the play is over, that same player gets off the ground, runs about 5 yards and signals first down as if it is the first reception of his career. I can't be the only one irritated by this.

The game continues and the offense has marched 73 yards on 12 plays to bring the ball to the opponents 3 yard line. Nothing the defense is doing has been able to stop the drive. On first and goal the offense runs a play up the middle but is stopped for no gain. The linebacker who crashed the line to make the tackle gets up and motions with his arms "no gain". While doing that, he is shaking his head back and forth like the previous 12 plays for 73 yards never happened. Is it possible that I'm the only one bothered by this?

Every now and then when ESPN Classic actually shows a classic NFL game, I'll watch and take particular notice as to how the players used to react after plays. I can't place my finger on exactly when things started to change, but celebrations once reserved for touchdowns are now occurring after first downs, sacks, interceptions, incomplete passes, one yard gains, pass deflections, assisted tackles... well, you get the point. I can't be the only fan who feels like throwing my remote at these players on TV, until reality sets in that I'd actually be putting a hole in my display.

Sure, it is frustrating when you're watching your favorite team play and the opposing team is doing all the celebrating, but it irks me just the same when my team acts like they just won the Super Bowl after deflecting a pass. The most agonizing aspect of this celebratory culture we live in is that the players are completely oblivious to the score when they start dancing a jig on the other player.

How many times have you seen a player make a decent play and shake his head back and forth like a bobble head even though his team trails by three touchdowns late in the fourth quarter. Please tell me you yell at your TV for them to "just play the game" when you see this.

The NFL should adopt the NCAA rules on celebrations, and that should be just the beginning in an effort to clean this up. If you are unfamiliar with the NCAA's take on celebrations, here it is as written in the rulebook:

NCAA Football Rule 9-2, Article 1(a)(1)(d) prohibits "Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves)"; in addition, Rule 9-2, Article 1(a)(2) asserts that "After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot.

I may be in the minority with this point, but I don't think this rule is enforced enough by the NCAA. However, that being said, let us maintain focus on the NFL. I feel as a fan, that I would enjoy the games even more if the players didn't focus so much attention upon themselves after every... single... play. How refreshing would it be to see a guy make a great defensive play, get congratulated by his teammates, and get ready for the next play? Instead we have to deal with him having his "Hey! Look at me!" moment. I'm sorry, but I can't be the only one this infuriates.

Of course I love the NFL, and I don't condone the idea of the "No Fun League", but cleaning up the celebrations and making even more of an effort to promote team efforts would go a long way in how fans perceive the players.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/908015-nfl-needs-to-adopt-the-ncaa-rules-on-celebration-penalties

Robbie Eal Joe Callahan Bryan Allen Mark Cullen Baltimore Orioles Boston Red Sox

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿