2011年2月24日木曜日

Deron Williams Trade: It Was The Right Move For Both Teams

If you’re a regular reader of mine, you might remember me starting my post “Decision,” LeBron James article by saying: “If you’re looking for a coherent column on LeBron James…you’ve come to the wrong place.”

Well, here we are eight months later and I’m in the same place, but for a completely different reason.

Deron Williams is now a New Jersey Net, you know that. If you’re looking for me to rip the Utah Jazz from head to toe for essentially waving the white flag on their season and trading one of the 10 best basketball players on the planet, you won’t get that from me.

If you’re hoping that I’m upset with Mikhail Prokhorov for rearranging the future of his franchise for potentially 18 months of Williams before he becomes a free agent, well that ain’t happening either.

The truth is that I love this trade.

I love it for both sides and I love it for all parties involved. I might not love it enough to dance like Elaine Benes, but I’m darn pretty close.

So, why do I love this trade? Why do I love it in the here and now, and so much for both teams?

Let’s take a look.

Let’s start with the Nets, and start with the nuts and bolts of this trade: They just traded for an All-Star point guard, a franchise player and someone who will instantaneously make every guy on the court better simply with his mere presence.

And you know what? They gave up next to nothing to get him; or, at least, no more than they would’ve had to give up to get Carmelo Anthony a week ago.

Speaking of Carmelo, I’ve got a newsflash for you: He was never coming to New Jersey; I think Prokhorov and everyone around the Nets knew that.

Now, I know that sounds laughable, if only because New Jersey had the parameters of a trade in place Friday, with yours truly even writing just a few hours prior, “For Carmelo, its New Jersey or bust,” meaning that if we’ve learned anything from this exercise, it’s that your buddy AT is a total idiot.

Although most of you probably already knew that.

But just because I don’t think Carmelo ever seriously considered New Jersey doesn’t mean that I don’t think he pretended to, in order to force the New York Knicks to make a move.

Remember, Carmelo has been saying since day one, hour one, minute one of last summer that he wanted to be a Knick, wanted his $65 million extension and he wanted them both.

The whole situation was more transparent than one of those Sports Illustrated spray-on bikinis.

Anyway, if you knew that and I knew that, don’t you think the Knicks knew that? Don’t you think they knew that they could wait until free agency, scoop up Carmelo without the extension and save the bounty of talent they were going to have to give away in a trade?

Of course they did. Which means that the only way Carmelo was going to get his cake and eat it too (the Knicks + the $65 million) was to dupe James Dolan into believing there was another bidder in his sweepstakes.

Which is why at the last possible second (after having no interest in them for nine months), all of a sudden Carmelo was happy to be a Net.

Right, and I’d be willing to marry Roseanne Barr if the price was right. Get the f*** outta here.

Carmelo was like the girl flirting with a guy at the bar just to get her own boyfriend’s attention—he was never going to be anything but a Knick, but he just couldn’t let the Knicks know it.

It led to his one final power play with the Nets over All-Star weekend.

But anyway, let’s get back to Williams...

 

(Because of length, this article was broken into two parts. To read PART II of this article, please click here or visit www.aarontorres-sports.com.

Also be sure to follow Aaron on www.twitter.com/Aaron_Torres)

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/618805-deron-williams-trade-it-was-the-right-move-for-both-teams

Florida Panthers Tampa Bay Lightning Washington Capitals Arizona Diamondbacks Atlanta Braves Chicago Cubs

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿